The Bow-Tie Agnes

This is a project I’ve been waiting to do for a while.  I’ve always loved pussy bows or bow ties on women’s shirts and just couldn’t wait to make one for myself.  So when I found this fabric I knew exactly what to do with it!

It’s a very faintly stretchy, midweight ITY knit, so the tie itself holds its shape very well.  It also helps to keep the collar upright and prevents sagging at the keyhole I added.  Not to mention, I love the color (purple is my favorite color)

img_9682

The only issue I found was not taking the fabric width into account — so I ran out of fabric to cut the sleeves.  This meant I had to cut the sleeves against the grain, which I honestly didn’t expect to be as much of a problem as it turned out to be.  In doing so, the process of stitching the sleeves onto the shoulders left the shirt with very … wiggly  shoulder seams, not to mention the lack of stretch in the perpendicular direction of the fabric meant the sleeves are quite snug on me.

IMG_9683.jpg

You can probably also see how the shoulder seams seem (lol) to fall below my shoulders a tad and you’re right — though I’m not entirely sure what caused that this time.  Whatever it was, I’ll be rectifying that soon, just pulling the seam up a touch and sewing the fabric to the shoulders again, but this time farther in towards the neck.  I’ll also probably shorten the sleeves a touch (again) because they’re just too darn.

The shirt is pictured with a skirt I picked up at a vintage store — this one I believe was from the 1970s and had a broken zipper and missing button.  So I removed the button tab at the back and installed a new zipper!  The skirt is wool and lined and the whole piece is so incredibly well-made that I couldn’t find any places that needed fixing other than the zipper.  I expect it can get another 40 years or so out of it before it finally falls apart!

Advertisements

4 thoughts on “The Bow-Tie Agnes

    1. Sure thing! I can draft up some drawings of the pattern changes I made, but that might take a few days before I can post them. In short, I brought in the neckline and extended the collar by doubling (or tripling, need to measure it again) and making the collar as I would a headband or waistband, then sewing it onto the neck.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s